How to conduct a meeting and structure meeting minutes
So which improvements and guidelines should we follow?
Prepare your Meeting
– Define the objectives and desired outcomes
– Estimate the length of the meeting
– Specify the agenda in advance
Prepare To Attend a Meeting
Invite the right people. (Not to much people)
Deliver the agenda at all the participants.
Each participants need to
– Know the purpose of the meeting
– Know their role and the path
– Arrive on time and be prepared
Set Up The Meeting Place
– Select a physical setting that is comfortable
– Create a warm and attractive atmosphere conductive to interaction
Assign A Note Taker
– Key decisions reached
– Next Steps (action plan) with a dead line and a owner
– Sending the meeting minutes to everyone
Start The Meeting
– Review the agenda : Communicate the purpose and desired outcomes
– Clarify the type of participation and interaction desired.
Conduct The Meeting
– Take time to tell and hear stories
– Ask for different points of view
– Keep the focus on ideas and objectives
Keep The Meeting Focused And Moving
– Get information and data from the meeting
– Acknowledge and reinforce constructive contributions
– Periodically summarize key points and ask for agreement
– Conclude by summarizing the group’s accomplishments, action points and decisions.
– Thank group members sincerely for their participation and contributions
– Share a meeting minutes to summarize the decision and actions plan
A successful meeting closes with a plan of action that extends from your original objective.
At the end of meeting, briefing shall be given to the participants about décisions, meeting outcome, miles stones, major deliverable and their follow-up.
You should be able to complete this sentence:
“For our next step I want the team to — .”
For more information, to know how to write a meeting notes, read this article 9 Steps To Learn How To Write Meeting Minutes
With Beesy, save time after meetings by automatically generating meeting minutes and to-do lists from user notes.
You can easily send your contacts the minutes of your structured meetings.
Discover all the use cases in this video dedicated to meeting management.
Life Hacks, Tips and Tricks To Run Meetings
“How to Create the Perfect Meeting Agenda” by Harward Business review
“Read any book on running effective meetings and, chances are, one of the first recommendations is going to be to set an agenda. Managers are often led to believe that having a written plan is the key for an engaging and successful meeting. Sadly, it’s not that easy. “
“How to Lead Effective Team Meetings”
“Effective meetings are interesting, high-energy events where team members work together to make decisions or solve problems. Unfortunately, too many of the meetings we attend seem to be just the opposite. The worst meetings bring time to a crawl leaving everyone mentally and emotionally exhausted and more than a little bit frustrated. “
“How to Run a More Effective Meeting” by New York Times
“We’ve all been stuck in a bad meeting. You arrive on time only to have the meeting start 10 minutes late. The agenda? Unclear. The person in charge? Also. Some people start to offer ideas, others shoot them down. Nothing is really decided and the meeting wraps up, as you silently lament the lost hour. There is a better way. “
“How to run effective meetings
Five principles for getting more done as a team” by Slack
“Understanding how to have effective meetings is likely one of the most important skills employees at all levels need to learn to thrive at work. And yet, according to online meeting provider Fuze, ineffective meetings waste an estimated $37 billion a year. “
“How Do I Start and Host a Meeting?” by Mindtools
“There are good meetings and there are bad meetings. Bad meetings drone on forever, you never seem to get to the point, and you leave wondering why you were even present. Effective ones leave you energized and feeling that you’ve really accomplished something.”
“I have been spending a lot of time in meetings for several years now and it is not always a pleasure… Today, I discovered an interesting article on how to run a good meeting.
In fact, meetings are one of the main complaints of most organizations. The fact is that every manager and employee loses too much time, which results in lower productivity, but the worst thing is the credibility of the organization to manage its own teams. Participants in an inefficient meeting have great difficulty taking notes and writing minutes. The consequence is that they do not know how to manage priorities and tasks.”